Monthly Meeting of the Vestry
St. Michael’s Episcopal Church
February 19, 2013
Attendees: Vicki Barnett, Dan Botticello, Molly French, Janet Hansen, Greg Hume, Pat Kennedy, Dean Scribner, Mick Sutter, Laura West, Mother Leslie
Pat Kennedy opened the meeting with prayers at 7:35 pm. New Vestry members Dan Botticello, Molly French, and Laura West were welcomed.
- Vestry voted to elect Pat Kennedy as Senior Warden, Mick Sutter as Junior Warden, and Vicki Barnett as Register.
- The Vestry approved the minutes of the January 15 meeting.
- The Vestry approved the treasurer’s reports from December and January.
- The Vestry approved a resolution that the three new officers be signatories for the checking account at Virginia Commerce Bank as set forth in the “Resolution of Lodge, Association or Other Similar Organization” and that the previous signatories be removed.
- The Vestry approved a distribution of $10,000.00 from the St. Michael’s Fund to be placed in the Operating Fund. This distribution was approved by the St. Michael’s Fund Board on September 12, 2012.
- Mick Sutter will bring snacks to the next Vestry meeting.
Minutes & treasurer’s report: Mother Leslie presented the minutes and treasurer’s reports from the December 2012 and January 2013 meetings. There was a marked increase in contributions in both December ($37,000. including pre-paid pledges for 2013 of $21,000.) and January ($27,000.).
Finance committee: Helen Hines and Jane Longan will attend the March vestry meeting to review the budget and counting procedures. The finance committee has met with a representative from the Church Insurance Corporation for our three-year review. The money market account at VA Commerce Bank has been closed and $40,000. moved into the STAMP fund (the diocesan short term account). Under the new health care law churches now get a small business tax credit for health insurance through 2013. St. Michael’s received a $7300. credit for 2010-2011, and we will be able to receive credit for 2012 and 2013.
The vestry retreat will be March 8-9; location and final theme are still to be announced. Mother Leslie distributed the list of vestry liaison duties.
- Mission & outreach: this year we will again partner with another church for “Rebuilding together”
- Evensong and Ash Wednesday services were well-attended.
- Lydia Guild and Rebecca Guild have moved their joint program to April.
- Rebecca Guild is having a watercolor class on 2/21.
- Lydia Guild has been cleaning and organizing the library.
- The electronic Guardian is up and running. Articles should be submitted to Melanie Monahan via the Guardian email address.
Mother Leslie’s doctoral program project is “Finding (W)holiness”; the first session is 2/20. Region 3 is hosting the Tuesday evening Lenten series; St. Michael’s is not hosting but will assist at St. John’s, Arlington, off Carlin Springs Road, when they host on March 12. Ann Truitt is completing her field education in Front Royal Calvary Church and is now a candidate for Holy Orders; her ordination as transitional deacon will be the second Saturday in June. Mother Leslie’s surgery is scheduled for April 8; Father George will be the primary contact during her absence.
The Vestry adjourned at 9:07 pm, after Compline.